Colorado Voter Registration Information

Q1. Who is eligible to vote in Colorado?

A1. You are eligible to vote if you:

  • will be 18 years of age or older at the time of the next election,
  • are a United States citizen,
  • have resided in Colorado 22 days immediately before the election at which you intend to vote,
  • are not serving a sentence of confinement, detention, or parole for a felony conviction.


Q2. Why do I have to register to vote?

A2. Voter registration is a means of determining the candidates and issues for which each voter is eligible to vote. Most states require voters to register to vote a certain number of days before Election Day. Voter Registration also protects the integrity of the ballot box by preventing voting in multiple jurisdictions.


Q3. When is the last day to register to vote before an election?

A3. Colorado law allows you to register to vote through Election Day.  But please note that how you register to vote matters. 

  • If you register to vote by mail or online through www.govotecolorado.com at least 8 days before an election conducted by your county clerk and recorder, the clerk will automatically mail you a ballot. 
  • If you register after the 8th day before an election conducted by your county clerk and recorder, you must visit one of the Voter Service and Polling Centers in your county to get a ballot.
  • If you register to vote through a voter registration drive, your application must be submitted no later than 22 days before an election.
  • You may register to vote by appearing in-person at a voter service and polling center through Election Day.


Q4. How do I register to vote?

A4. Online or Remote:

Registering to vote is free and easy.  If you have a Colorado State driver's license or ID card issued by the Department of Revenue you may register to vote online at www.govotecolorado.com.  If you are already a registered voter in Colorado you may confirm your registration at this website. Once your registration is verified, you can use your driver’s license number to update your address and party affiliation online as well. 

Printable voter registration forms are also available on the Secretary of State's web site. You can obtain a paper voter registration form at your county clerk’s office. You may mail, fax, or scan and email your complete and signed form to your county clerk’s office. 

Physical Offices:

Voter registration is also offered at:

  • A Colorado Department of Motor Vehicle office when you apply for a driver's license, or update your driver's license information.
  • All offices that provide public assistance, including offices that provide state funded programs primarily engaged in providing services to persons with disabilities.
  • Recruitment offices of the armed forces of the United States.
  • Any federal, state local government, or nongovernment office that chooses to provide voter registration service or applications. A voter service and polling center.


Q5. If I am already registered to vote, do I need to register before each election?

A5. If you have already registered to vote, you do not need to register again. But if you moved, you must update your voter registration with your new residence.  Colorado electors may update their voter registration records, including address information, online atwww.govotecolorado.com


Q6. What does residence mean for purposes of voter registration and voting?

A6. When applied to voter registration, the term residence generally means the principal or primary home or place in which a person lives.  A residence is a permanent building or part of a building and may include a house, apartment, condominium, room in a house, mobile home, or building.  An elector who has no fixed permanent address may use any address that he or she considers a “home base” where the elector regularly returns to and has the intent to remain. You must provide a legal residence or “home base” to register to vote. Once that residence is established, it exists until a new residence is established.  But you may not have more than one legal residence.


Q7. How do I change my residence?

A7. If you have a Colorado driver's license or ID card issued by the Department of Revenue you may update your address online at www.govotecolorado.com.  In addition, you may complete and submit a letter or voter registration form (PDF) to your county clerk and recorder, either by mail, fax, email or in person. You may also appear in-person at a voter service and polling center and update or change your address immediately prior to or on Election Day.   For more information, please contact your County Election Office.


Q8. If my home is in foreclosure, will I be allowed to vote?

A8. Every eligible elector has the right to vote in Colorado. The fact that your home is in foreclosure has no bearing on your right to vote. It may, however, affect where you vote. If you have adopted a new residence, you will need to update your voter registration with your new residence. How foreclosure may affect voter registration.


Q9. What if I’m in the military or a student?

A9. For the purposes of registration and voting, no person may gain residence because of that person’s presence in the state nor lose it by being absent while in military service or a student at any institution of higher learning.


Q10. I am planning to go away to college, should I wait to register there? Can I remain registered in my hometown if I go away to school?

A10. Colorado law allows college students to keep their voter registration in their hometown and vote by mail from college. This choice is up to the student. They may re-register in the jurisdiction where they are attending school, or they may retain their registration in their hometown.


Q11. How do I obtain proof of my voter registration in Colorado?

A11. You may visit www.govotecolorado.com and print out your voter record information.  Or, you may contact your local county elections official for a certificate of registration.


Q12. Is it legal for people to use my address for their voter registration even though they don’t live here anymore?

A12. Yes. In many circumstances, it is the only address they can use for voter registration. For example, a member of the armed services stationed out of state or a student attending school abroad who formerly resided at your address, may use that address for voter registration and voting purposes.


Q13. My family member is deceased, but his or her name is still active in the Colorado statewide voter registration system. How can I have his or her name canceled?

A13. A family member of the deceased elector may send a written signed notice to the county clerk’s office where the deceased voter is registered.  The notice must include the full name, date of birth, and address of the deceased elector.


Q14. What are the penalties for voting or registering to vote if I am ineligible?

A14. It is unlawful for any person to procure false voter registration. A violation could result in a fine of up to $5,000, or imprisonment in the county jail for up to 18 months, or both. Any person who votes in an election knowing that they are not entitled to vote commits a class 5 felony. See sections 1-13-203 and 1-13-704.5, C.R.S.


Q15. Besides registering to vote and voting on Election Day, how can I be more involved in the election process?

A15. If you are 18 years old, you can serve your community as an election judge. If you are at least 16 years old and a student in good standing and either a junior or senior in high school at the time of the election, you are also eligible to serve as a student election judge. If you are interested in serving as an election judge, please contact your county clerk.

Paid for by the Committee to Elect Donald Valdez.